Contact ME

Would love to hear from you!


123 Street Avenue, City Town, 99999

(123) 555-6789


You can set your address, phone number, email and site description in the settings tab.
Link to read me page with more information.




Cristina Soriano

I really enjoy converting somewhat generic spaces into a place with character, warmth and attitude. All throughout boarding school and college, I tried to make my dorm room, fitted with light oak furniture, stark overhead lighting and white washed walls, intimate and warm. So, when my boyfriend moved into a one bedroom apartment, I was excited to help him transform the blank canvas into a place of character.

The bedroom is an important room for me – it should be serene and comfortable. So, we decided that rather than buying a headboard, that we could make one ourselves, adding our own personal touch.

I got this idea from my senior year of boarding school, when my roommate and I were bestowed a very large room and set out to make it as homey as possible. One Sunday after chapel, we decided to make matching pink gingham headboards to compliment our green gingham curtains using ply wood, foam, a yard of fabric and a staple gun. 

I replicated my Sunday afternoon boarding school activity, but rather than fitting a twin bed, we bought a piece of plywood and cut it 4' x 5'2'' to fit his queen bed. To elevate the look a little, we cut off the two corners creating a hexagonal shape - something a little more elegant.

My preferences for the headboard fabric.

My preferences for the headboard fabric.

 We bought a large enough piece of foam that covers the whole front of the headboard but has enough allowance to fold over to the back. We also went to New York garment district – he dragging his heels – to choose a heavyweight cotton fabric. Although I wanted a patterned material he won with 2 yards of all navy cotton weave.

We laid the foam on the ground and set the headboard in the middle. We then folded the excess foam around to the back end of the plywood and adhered the foam onto to wood using a staple gun.

Once it was secure, we covered the foam with the fabric  and also stapled the fabric into place. Because we wanted the headboard to be hexagonal, we had to fold the fabric to neatly around the edges so that it continued to look clean and elegant.

To adhere the headboard onto the bedframe, we had to drill holes into the plywood and then secure with nut and screws.

Et voila!  We were not only able to save some money but bonded and enjoyed using our hands to transform a space into something much more cozy.


Blog Archive